Jun 28, 2017

Learning Photography Pt.1 - Olympus Pen E-PL7

I recently bought a camera - the Olympus Pen E-PL7
and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. 

I've always have this thing for photography since high school but I never had the chance to actually try taking photos "artistically". We (my family) once had a camera but..... I broke it. 

Earlier this year, my mom brought me to one camera shop and let me chose a camera. It was a tough decision between a DSLR and two mirrorless cameras. Taking into account that my parents would at times borrow the camera when they go on holidays, i decided to settle for a small-sized, almost compact camera because you know how heavy a DSLR can be, and not to mention the number of buttons that will drive my mom-who-can't-even-operate-a-smartphone crazy. 

The other mirrorless camera was Canon M10. So between the two, as someone who knows nothing about camera, I gravitated more towards Canon because well, it's Canon. I think most of us are more familiar with either Canon and Nikon. I asked for a friend's opinion and he told me to read the reviews first. My bad because I didn't know that we were going to buy a camera, I could have done my 'homework' first. But oh well, I'm not gonna go into details on the differences between the two cameras. 

In this post, I'm going to share the photos I took with my Olympus Pen E-PL7.
I have 2 lenses:

  • Kit lens- M.Zuiko 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
  • Zoom lens- M. Zuiko 40-150mm f4-5.6. 

Most of the time I have my zoom lens on because I think it's very versatile. I can shoot both portraits and (almost) micro with it. But of course, there are always cons in everything and in this case, the zoom lens is pretty hard to work with in small space because I have to be quite far from the subject or else I'll be zoomed in to his/her nostrils hehe. 

The photos are great in their original form but of course some adjustments have to be made. You know, the usuals- exposure, contrast, shadow and temperature . In case of portraiture shots, I sometimes tweak a bit to adjust the color to make the subject/model stand out. I admit I sometimes tend to over edit a photo. Something that I need to learn about more.

Here, I will attach both before and after editing photos taken with the Olympus Pen E-PL7 camera.

Above (Original) / Below (Edited)
1/250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 500, 150mm (Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm f4.0-5.6)

Left (Original) / Right (Edited)
1/200 sec, f/5.6, ISO 320, 145mm (Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm f4.0-5.6)

Above (Original) / Below (Edited)
1/200 sec, f/4.8, ISO 400, 85mm (Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm f4.0-5.6)

Above (Original) / Below (Edited)
1/250 sec, f4.1, ISO 250, 45mm (Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm f4.0-5.6)

These are four from thousands of photos that I have taken over the past 3 months. I've created a new instagram account: @ain4lc4ptures. Do visit and give me a follow if you wish to see more photos.

In my next post, I will share some tips that I think useful for me.
Tips from a beginner to another beginner.

I hope you enjoyed this post. Thank you for reading!

2 comments:

Neha Verma said...

Great post. Check out he best deals on Canon Mirrorless in Spain online.

Zenith Coupons said...

Your blog post is really very informative & interesting. Thanks for sharing. For more updates on online shopping Coupons & discount Codes please visit Photobook Indonesia Kupons